How to choose a dog collar? Recommendations
The selection of a dog collar should be taken responsibly. Your task is to purchase a product that will fit her in size. And also by purpose. To make the dog as comfortable as possible to walk in a particular collar.
We will tell you how to choose this product. We will tell you what aspects to pay attention to during the process. And let’s talk about other equally important points.
Why is it important to buy a quality collar?
To purchase a high-quality dog collar is necessary, first of all, in order to provide it with comfort. In no case should the dog have various scuffs on the skin. And the collar itself must be of high quality. And serve for quite a long time.
Keep in mind that dogs usually don’t behave obediently 24/7. Consequently, the product will wear out from the constant tugging of the leash. If its quality is poor, then it will very quickly become absolutely unusable. Accordingly, when you purchase the product, try not to save. Otherwise, it will have negative consequences. It will lead to the fact that the dog will feel negatively. And the collar will quickly fall into disrepair.
What types of collars are there?
Collars can be of absolutely different types. They may vary depending on the material. They may have different purposes. And also, they may differ from each other in size.
The collar must properly perform the tasks assigned to it. To achieve this moment, try to pick it up according to the current dimensions of the dog. And also for a number of other parameters. Let’s consider the main types of collars.
A collar of this type has the simplest design. At the same time, it has the greatest popularity. With it, you can walk your dog every day.
When you purchase this model, pay attention to a number of the following parameters:
- Usually, walking collars are created from several materials. Made of synthetics, leather, or both at once. The latter option is called combined.
- The outer covering of the collar in most models is made of leather. Or, it can be coated with silicone. Also, felt is often used. It is located inside. This product is made in a similar way in order to provide the dog with a high level of comfort. And also, so that the tape does not harm the dog’s fur. In such collars there is usually a special half-ring. It is installed here so that a traditional leash can be attached to the collar.
- The crescent, which is made of iron, needs to be fixed in the middle part of your ribbon. Thanks to this, the doggie will be able to turn its head in different directions.
- Large dogs can buy traditional equipment for walking. A collar, complete with a special handle. This is a great option for you as an owner. And also quite convenient for the animal.
- Take a closer look at the so-called guard collar. It is part of the “family of walking” models. Such a collar can be purchased if your dog is massive. It has a stronger structure. This means it does not deform during use.
It is also called parfors. Collars of this type are used to make changes in the behavior of the dog. And also for her training. It is used mainly in relation to large dogs.
Such a collar model has its own characteristics. Special spikes are placed inside. They make it harder for the dog to move in different directions. It’s getting harder for him to break out. And he can’t feel comfortable if the collar is stretched.
Such an item should be used carefully. And, preferably, have experience working with it. Otherwise, you can harm the dog. And make her feel uncomfortable.
Parfors are usually used for training. Moreover, quite large dogs. At the same time, you can purchase different collars of this type. The variety of material is quite large. There are both elastic and metal products here. And some of them are made using plates at all.
The dog’s coat may be different. Which collar to choose depends on its volume. If the pet’s coat is smooth, then give preference to options whose spikes are short. If not smooth, then the spikes should be long.
The spikes must be placed correctly. They should be located in the direction of each other. It should start in the middle part of the pet’s neck.
At the same time, it is better not to use such a collar for every day. Over time, the pet can get used to the pain from the thorns. As a result, it will no longer act on him as before. And you won’t be able to raise him the way you planned.
We do not recommend using a collar of this type on your own. Most likely, it will not bring any effect anyway. If you want to train a dog, it’s better to pay a dog handler. You yourself are unlikely to succeed. Especially if the dog is already an adult. Puppies can still be trained. But you can’t force adults to do what you need without a specialist.
Collar for the exhibition
Collars of this type can be used at exhibitions. Here you will find a model for almost every taste. Collars of this type may differ from each other in shape. Have serious differences in the material. And also in shades.
When you select a collar for a specific exhibition, pay attention to important nuances. On how the shades of your collar and the dog’s coat should be combined. And so on. Otherwise, you risk losing points just because of this.
You need to choose a collar for the exhibition very carefully. It must fully comply with certain characteristics. Be not only beautiful, but also practical. Bring comfort to the house.
What should an exhibition collar be in aesthetic terms?
When choosing an exhibition collar by color, consider the following points:
- The collar must necessarily match the shade of your pet’s fur. In no case should he attract attention to himself. Otherwise, the judges will get distracted and withdraw the score.
- The collar must necessarily fit a pet in size. So that he would be as calm as possible. And comfortable.
- The collar should not add length or, conversely, shorten the neck of the pet.
When you buy a collar, pay attention to the pet’s neck. You will need to purchase an accessory, paying attention to it. If a pet’s neck is long, then pay attention to models whose section is narrow in front. And also wide at the back.
If you have a very small dog, and the muzzle is short, then be careful. Use a harness better. Otherwise, a traditional collar can transfer air to the dog.
This collar is slightly similar to the strict version. It is used mainly for training. At the same time, such a collar is much softer than a strict one.
We strongly do not recommend using it every day. It is best to use it during training with a pet. At the same time, in some cases, similar collars are used in everyday life. Every day.
The texture of such a collar is quite soft. It is recommended to use it every day. Such a collar can be created in the format of a metal chain. In addition, alternative options may also be used. Leather models. And also made of synthetics.
If you purchase a garrote that was made of metal, check its structure. The links must be tightly coupled to each other. Don’t sway.
If you purchase a copper version, then the product must be of high quality. It is desirable that it be made with the use of copper. The so-called kurogane. Do not purchase products made with nickel. Dogs usually have allergies from it.